1. You’ll save a life Saving a life just may be one of the most rewarding actions in a person’s life. Some pet shelters have to put down animals if they do not get adopted. If you choose to adopt a pet from an animal shelter or animal adoption agency, you are not only saving a precious animal’s life, you are also greatly increasing its quality of life.
2. You’ll save money When you adopt a pet, you are actually saving a lot of money. Animals that have been placed in shelters or taken to animal adoption agencies are almost always spayed or neutered and vaccinated. Those preliminary, but necessary procedures add up when all is said and done. Also, it is relatively inexpensive to adopt a pet from an agency or shelter in comparison to purchasing dogs or cats from a local pet store.
3. You’ll receive a healthy pet As was mentioned above, pets from shelters and adoption agencies are almost always spayed or neutered, and have received their vaccinations as well. This ensures the health and happiness of your future pet. Also, in contradiction to popular belief, many pets who have been placed in shelters have not been mistreated or “done something wrong.” Many pets have been taken there because of people problems, such as divorce, a big move, or they are simply too busy to adequately provide care for a pet.
4. You won’t be supporting puppy mills Many pets that are sold in pet stores or newspaper ads sometimes come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are mass dog-breeding businesses that are harmful to the health of their bred puppies. These facilities sometimes house up to several hundred dogs at a time, thus compromising the health and well-being of a precious puppy. By adopting a pet from a shelter or a pet adoption agency, you are not supporting these often inhumane businesses.
5. You’ll have a large selection Because pet adoption agencies and animal shelters have many pets, there is a wide selection for you to choose from. To make pet shopping easier on potential parents, many pet agencies and shelters have websites that allow people to search for possible pets by their age, sex, size, and breed. This enables families to search from the comfort of their own homes; the hassle of going to noisy and overwhelming shelters and agencies is eliminated.
The satisfaction you will acquire when you adopt a pet is like no other; you will have received a healthy pet, you will save money, you will be supporting a healthy and just cause, you will get the perfect pet for your family, and you will have saved a life. Adopting a pet has lifelong benefits that you will not regret. Give these animals a second chance by allowing them to join your loving family.